Wednesday 29 January 2014

Shoots



Hello........ With yet more icy rain lashing against the windows I've decided to try and find the positive, yes it's all going to turn out OK because there are signs of the Spring to come, we have Shoots.  

I've had enough of the rain now and for certain the washed out Summerhouse garden has had enough too. It's no wonder I always love to have bulbs inside the house this time of year.


We have mini Tulip shoots..........

The story of these is, I wanted to get some Tulips at the weekend but by the time we got to the shop they had sold out. So I guess everyone had the same idea as me. I was not to be stopped in my Tulip mission though, just a little delayed. 

As I found this lovely little pail of mini tulips reduced to the bargain price of £1.99, I think I like the thought of growing my own even better, as they will last for longer and a surprise awaits me as to what colour they will be.


The mini Iris shoots are growing too


Just look how much bigger they are from last week.


We also have Amaryllis shoots this is supposed to be a pastel 'Apple Blossom' so I'm looking forward to seeing what the flowers are like.

Out in the garden:



Nature is trying her very best, just look there is still so much colour to be found out in the Summerhouse garden.  We still have some summer flowers trying there best Marigolds, Roses, Fuchsia and Geraniums. Winter Jasmine, Holly and red berries and Ivy are to be found and the hope of Spring with Polyanthus, the Camellia in bud and bulbs coming up everywhere, even the night scented Jasmine is in bud, lets hope the frosts doesn't knock them off.


There are also some shoots of hope for a very ongoing WIP, I've been making my Purple Leave Cushion for nearly a year now, yep you heard me right! It seems a never ending  project that  keeps being put on hold. Partly as I'm so easily distracted by other makes and also as I struggle a bit with knitting I find it much more painful on my joints and muscles.  

This week I've picked it up again and have made a few more leaves.  You can read more about this make 'here' .This year I'm really trying not to start anything new until I finished some WIP's


As for my Spring time throw I've only managed another two squares this week but I'll get there.

  The year in books : January



I have however finished something, January's book 'The Colour' by Rose Tremain, I'm not entirely sure what I think of this book. I loved the main storyline and central character Harriet but her husbands character, there is nothing at all to endear you to him and as for some of the subplot's I found them a little scattered,  never really meeting up with the main plot. This is not a book with many happy endings. Being a writer of Folk songs I thought this story would be right up my street with a strong female character set against the backdrop of the 1860's New Zealand gold rush , but all in all it's left me a little undecided.

Has anyone else read it? what did you make of it?


So here's February book ready and waiting on my bedside table,  it's 'Earthly Joys' by Philippa Gregory. Join in with  circle of pines, year in books

Joining in with Ginny's 'yarn along' and Nicoles KCCO so why not check out what everyones been making.

Happy Crafting

Clare xx

19 comments:

  1. A lovely post Clare. Your pink with a hint of lavender sky looks amazing. Oh those little shoots are definately getting bigger, and what a brilliant tulip bargain. Your garden must be so colourful for this time of the year. Beautiful crochet in soft colours. I've not heard of Rose Tremain, and it's such a pity when you read a book and not enjoy it, it usually takes me longer to read than normal.
    Good for you in finishing it so quickly.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, I love that sky to sky blue pink just perfect have a good week
      Clare x

      Delete
  2. i can't believe all that color still lurking in your garden!!!! i'm anxiously awaiting the first signs of our hellebores,but if the temps don't start sneaking up a bit, i've got a long wait still!!! love the mystery of the tulips!!! (I'll be checking back to see what color they are!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph with all the rain it's be relatively mild, so lots of the plants are still going strong, I hope your Hellebores wake up soon, as for the tulips I can't wait to see what colour they are, not even a hint on the tag, so I'm going to guess red but who knows xx

      Delete
  3. I love the hummingbird bowl that your bulbs are in, it is so sweet. Happy reading and hope you have a dry day.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith, nope it's still raining here and getting colder, winds turned to the East which is OK as I wouldn't mind some snow. xx

      Delete
  4. Your leaves are especially beautiful! Lena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Lena, just popped over to your blog and the dolls you make are lovely.
      Clare x

      Delete
  5. I adore planting bulbs and my house is really full of them - can't wait to see your tulips in bloom. Love your leaves x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little shoots look very promising...and the leaf cushion! Where have you been hiding that one? The colour combo is gorgeous! :-) Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sky has really been showing it's most beautiful side for the last week ort so, and you have captured it nicely. I also love your leaves, and regret that Woman's Weekly is not for sale in Denmark.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bulbs are doing really well Clare, it looks as though your amaryllis is about to burst into flower at any moment!! Your leaves are lovely, I will have to look back and see what you are making with these as I am intrigued! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for another beautiful post, Clare. You have inspired me to start some bulbs, stitch some more, find an interesting story to read, and appreciate all that is beautiful around me :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures are wonderful of the garden and I love the idea of planting some bulbs inside. I will have to get some. Lovely inspiration, love your leaves too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post. I'm so glad you have shoots to enjoy. I hope that's a good book, I love Philippa Gregory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garden is looking so pretty Claire. Apart from a few flowers, things are pretty grey here. I absolutely love your pretty bowl and can't wait to see your mini tulips breaking through. I just this week went to the charity shop with the single purpose of finding a bowl to plant some daffs in and I was really lucky. I do like yours though, it really is pretty. Your reads look interesting, enjoy! Sending you much love and keep up this fabulous positive outlook. Enjoy your weekend sweetie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is a lot of lovely colour in your garden Clare! Very pretty.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. little bits at a time, thats how some projects get finished!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! You have so much colour in your garden - it looks almost like summer.

    ReplyDelete