Tuesday 14 January 2014

December :: craft round up


Hello....... So I've finally got around to writing up last months craft round up, it seems strange to be writing about something from last year. The beginning of  December seems an age ago after all the busiest of Christmas and New year, but I guess it's only a few weeks.

Any road here's the mosaic's of last months crafts and makes


Last months yarniness was all about the 'Wintertime Wreath' getting it finished on time for the Solstice. It was so much fun making the wreath, I just loved playing around with all the icy tones then adding beads buttons and crystals as the finishing touches.


December also saw me finally get around to finishing my Alice in Wonderland watercolours mounting them up to look like playing cards, I have bought some large pieces of card to mount them on for the exhibition but that will have to be done in situ otherwise it will be too large to transport.


As for January, well so many WIP's are afoot here at the Summerhouse, I'm making a smaller version of my Springtime wreath for a charity auction. Here's where I'm up to playing around with the layout and planning what needs to be done.


I'm also in the process of making my final piece for the exhibition, the theme is 'The Seaside' so I'm making bunting, as I can't think of anything more seasidie than that. Sewing is very new to me so I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.


I've also been making lots of little granny squares as I decided, that it time, the Summerhouse needs it's own Granny blanket. This is a very old WIP from a few years back when I first decided to learned to crochet I bought the yarn and Nicki Trench 'Cute and Easy Crochet book and made a few squares but never got much further with the blanket. I guess as a newbie crocheter at the time it was just too daunting.

So I'd love to make some real head way with this project this coming year. I've always dreamed of making a blanket, continuing the family history of blanket making.  I have so many happy cosy childhood memories of being snuggled up under a granny blankets made by my Grandma (on my Dad's side) and my Great Nan (on my mum's side).

 I never ever got to meet the wonderful lady that was my Great Nan, who is so fondly spoken about by my Mum and her sibling, but I think it's wonderful that we have this connection with her through the blanket she made.
We used it for snuggling and tent making and when ever we were ill as children the blanket was always there, to be tuck up under on the sofa.

Maybe I'll dig them out of the airing cupboard and do a vintage granny blanket post one of these days, I pretty sure my Great Nans blanket is in need of some repair but at least now I possess the skills to do that.



As for reading when I have the time and the concentration I'm still working my way through 'The Colour' by Rose Tremain which I'm really enjoying.

 So the plan is I'm going to join in with Circle of Pines - year in books link up, with the aim of reading one book a month for the year.  So that's January's book. The Colour by Rose Tremane, which is full of good inspriration  so far for a folk song.
joining Ginny's Yarn along  and crocheting along with Marianne and Chrissie so why not check out what everyone else has been up to.

Happy Crafting

Clare xx





27 comments:

  1. Wow Clare, you have done loads and all made so beautifully! You should be really proud of what you have done. Look back on all of this with great pride! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining in, Clare! Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm Looking forward to reading some of the books that have been sitting waiting way to long
      Clare x

      Delete
  3. You've done so much lately, Clare. I love the crochet photos from Dec, how everything is such a fresh shade of blue. It's so nice that you have the blankets from your nan and I am sure you cherish them. It's wonderful that you are drawing inspiration from her too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen I'm loving all the icy blues too. xx

      Delete
  4. You have made some lovely things Clare! Good luck with the blanket, I am sure it will be lovely.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne it's going to be a bit of challenge as such a big make for me
      Clare xx

      Delete
  5. What a creative month. I love your wreath, it's perfectly wintry. I always wanted to make that Nicki Trench blanket, it's really lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks the blankets going to be a challenge as it's quite a big make for me, make we should do a blanket crochet along
      Clare x

      Delete
  6. Clare, this post really inspires me! I love seeing again what you have created, and I want to be as creatively productive as you have been :) I also want to check out the book you highlighted! Thanks for posting! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gracie, I recommend the book so far I'm really enjoying it
      Clare xx

      Delete
  7. Oh what lovely makes you've been busy with Clare - I love the blues of your wreath and the completed project is beautiful. Your Alice in Wonderland watercolours are so sweet, such a nice project and I wish you well with the exhibition and with your granny blanket - I enjoyed hearing about your Great Nan and her cosy comforting blanket, how lovely that is! Hugs, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joy thanks for your lovely comment, I think the blankets going to be a bit of a challenge but hopefully I'll get there, have a good week,
      Clare xxx

      Delete
  8. Love your wintertime wreath, not normally my colours but it looks beautiful, and the little bird, so much more birdy than others I have seen. Such lovely things, clever you. Hope you enjoy the Year in books - if you have time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edwina thanks for stopping by and for the lovely comment.
      Clare x

      Delete
  9. Wow, your Winter Solstice wreath is really lovely; I am more resolved than ever to make wreaths this year, perhaps starting with an Easter theme!
    Happy New year,
    Pat ~ sunshineandasewingbasket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat, it took a few months to make but I lo mveaking them, I started off by making a Spring one last year so much fun.
      Clare x

      Delete
  10. what a joyful post…love the projects, love the colors!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're just sooo talented, Clare! Every time I see that winter wreath, I love it more (and shall confess to some definite wreath envy!) Hope you're having a good week,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a lovely comment Gilly, I'd say go for it make one !!
      Clare x

      Delete
  12. What a great idea to collage monthly. I wanted to make a few from last year, but I waited until December. It was just too time consuming to go through 1000's of pics from a whole year! I will have to try monthly instead. I love your bunting and wreath, my colors for January are ice blue and white also. Such memories of your GreatNan's blankets, that is something that I am hoping my grandchildren remember about me. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robbie, I thinking of doing monthly mosiacs for the blog this year as my end of year ones just took to long to sort, have a great weekend
      Clare xx

      Delete
  13. Wow you have done loads of wonderful things! Your Seaside bunting is going to look awesome!

    I am glad you decided to air out your granny squares and start them back up, your Great Nan and your Grandma would be so pleased! I would love to see you do a vintage post on the blankets you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hazel, you're lovely blankets inspired me to get on with it, yep I think I'm going to attempt to repair my Great Nans blanket and then maybe do a post at some point this year
      Clare x

      Delete
  14. I loved your post - the cards are amazing!

    ReplyDelete