Sunday 12 January 2014

Chocolate and Beetroot Cake.


Hello........ I hope you've had a good weekend. The photo's for this post have been sitting around in my drafts folder  for a while now (well in fact since last year) so I thought I better get around to writing it up.  

At New Year we had a get together at a friends house and I decided to make a Chocolate and Beetroot cake to take along for dessert.  This is a recipes that's I've wanted to try for a while and as we don't eat a awful lot of cake here at the Summerhouse it seem the perfect opportunity



I made the cake with a little help with the legwork, lifting and stirring from 'P' using Fiona Cairns's recipe. I originally saw it on her TV show 'The home of fabulous cakes' just over a year or so ago, as I said it's been on the to make list for a while !! but I manage to find the recipe online.



I followed the recipe then poured it into a silicone cake tin lined at the bottom. It was the first time I used a silicone case to bake anything other than cupcakes, and it was sooooo much easier  to bake in than our old metal cake tin.


I popped it in the oven not knowing what to expect.

What would come out at the end of the baking as I've never baked using beetroot before, but I had nothing to worry about. Just look at how fabulous the cake turned out so rich dark and chocolatey.

I know it was super chocolatey and smelt great as Merli my cat, who shouldn't, but loves all things chocolate spent the evening looking longingly at the tin, where the cake was stored.


The next day after a rest it was time for the fun bit, I coloured the icing using the juice from the beetroot, yep that's all natural colour. Skippy happy how fab is that.


Then poured it onto the cake.


I decided to use a palette knife to cover the side of the cake fully, but if you wanted to you could just let it drip down the sides of the cake wild and free.


I then melted some white and dark chocolate and drizzled it all over the cake.



 Yay such fun and looks so effective.  The good thing for me is that other than the white chocolate drizzle the cake is completely dairy free as you use a vegetables oil.



Time for a Ta-Dah

 Here's my finished cake, with a sparkler added to celebrate new year, it was yummy too.

So that's it my one handed Beetroot and Chocolate cake, yep I forgot say I had to bake the cake with one hand as my pesky lurgy/rubbish immune system had caused my wrist joint to swell up, no fun but thank goodness for 'P' always there to help.

Clare xx

18 comments:

  1. That cake looks AMAZING! I absolutely love the icing and drizzle decoration, it just screams 'PARTY!' Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chrissie it was a lot of fun to make :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious, and very pretty too. happy new Year. Hope your wrist settles down again soon. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie Happy Year to you, thankfully joints have settled down a bit for now
      Clare x

      Delete
  4. How interesting! The color is so pretty. I've never tried baking this way either. I've baked with pureed pumpkin before, which was an old Weight Watchers recipe. You mixed a can of pumpkin with a package of cake mix and maybe a cup of water, and poured it into cupcake tins. It was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, I've been wondering about maybe trying these a cup cake too
      Clare xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely!! What a great cake for a celebration too, love the sparkler! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy I do love a sparkler :0)
      Clare x

      Delete
  6. It looks delicious.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really yummy Meredith all four of the children there ate it and said it was yummy, so that great considering the beetroot factor
      Clare xx

      Delete
  7. Oh wow I would never thought of putting together ingredients like that, I hope it was delish!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hazel, it was surpisingly yummy
      Clare x

      Delete
  8. That looks delicious! The way you decorated the cake looks really pretty too.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianne, it was so much fun to decorate
      Clare xx

      Delete
  9. Hello lovely Clair and Happy new year to you my dear. I do hope that you are well and that Christmas treated you kind. I love the look of this cake, it looks delicious. I am struggling as I have a no bake policy at the moment, it started on the 6th of January and it is hear to stay for a while to boost my system a bit. I will hopefully be experimenting with a few raw cake options. Lovely to be back and reading your lovely blog xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannapat I find I always struggle with my energy with Christmas like you I'm now on a super healthy eating kick, glad you back and blogging again, huge hugs
      Clare xx

      Delete
  10. Wow looks amazing Clare must give this a go :) thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete