Sunday 8 September 2013

Stitching Sundays 01





Hello.... today I linking up with Chrissie and her 'Stitching Sundays' link up I have a confession to make this is my first ever attempt at embroidery, so I apologise in advance for any wonky stitches.  This is something I've always wanted to learn so when I saw the Stitching Sundays link up on Chrisssie wonderful blog, I knew it was the perfect opportunity.

So I ordered a hoop and some linen napkins from Amazon which arrived just in time, I haven't spent much money on supplies, as I'm not sure if it going to be my cup of tea yet. I'm sooo longing for it to be, just the looking at the threads make my heart sing, but I'm a bit all fingers and thumbs when it come to fiddly things, so we'll just have to wait and see.  (at primary school in sewing I never got passed the tacking stage, in sewing class eek !! )


Over the last few days my mind has been abuzz with ideas of what to stitch.  I've come up with a plan, which I sure is far beyond my abilities at the moment but I'm hoping to learn as I go. 

I've decided to stitch a outer frame in running stitch, (as you can see.) Then the plan is to make little boxes within that and embroider themes from nature within each box.  Sort of a 'Summerhouse by the Sea 'Sampler,  with trees to represent each of the seasons and flowers and butterflies. I can see it all so clearly in my head. See I told you my creative mind is making plans I have no idea how to achieve, but I'm hoping it will be fun trying to learn.





I've ordered a Doddle Stitching book from amazon which I'm hoping will give me some design ideas and also help with the basis stitches, so I'm really looking forward to that arriving in the post. Well I guess that about as far as I've got for this week.



Now  it's time to be brave and show you a close up, of where I'm up to so far with my slightly wonky running stitch. eek  Why not pop over to Chrissie's blog and see what everyone else is up too.

Happy Crafting
Clare xx



26 comments:

  1. I think you're going to love it! I haven't done any for years either but I'm sooo loving it right now. Just have fun and enjoy being creative!
    Happy week to you,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gilly it's been fun so far, feel the need to go on a adventure to the local sewing shop and stock up only lovely coloured silks :)

      Delete
  2. Brilliant Clare, well done. I can hardly wait to see your finishd result.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene, it might take me a while, but i'm looking forward to it, hopefully I try and complete one little square every week or so. x

      Delete
  3. Oh Clare you've started off great! Your running stitches look so even, and wait til you get the Doodle Stitching book - it is full of inspiration! I'm like you - I can see a lovely design in my mind, but trying to transfer it to fabric...I have similar ideas for seasonal trees, I'm thinking of one tree style but just change leaf colours for each season, so many gorgeous threads to choose from! Have fun! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Chrissie, I'm really looking forward to following your Stitch along. Have no idea yet how I'll managed the trees, but like you I see one tree, in four season from pink blossom in the spring through the year to green summer, leaves changing in atumnn through to winter. xx

      Delete
  4. Good for you, Clare! It looks like you're making an great start. I look forward to seeing more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Clare. Can't wait to see your progression. A sampler idea inspired by the Summerhouse is a fab idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara, thnak I'll just have to see how I get on, but it's something I love to learn.x

      Delete
  6. Good start. I am still to join in, so well done for get thus far! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannapat thanks for stopping by my Summehouse, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyones working on. x

      Delete
  7. Oooh, I can't wait to see it progress. I never thought of biting linen napkins, thanks for the idea. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, thanks for stopping by my summerhouse, I was looking online and the napkins were much less expensive than buying fabric, as I'm new to embriodery I thought it was best no to buy lots of expensive fabrics until I know how I get on. xx

      Delete
  8. Hi Clare just found your lovely blog via Chrissie Crafts and just love it. I am new to embroidery and really want to learn it - properly. I shall really enjoy reading your posts Clare, hope you don't mind but I have put you as one of my favourite blogs, have a wonderful week.
    Lots of love
    Dorothy (crochetknittingsewing.blogspot.com)
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my Summerhouse, and for your lovely comment Dorothy. x

      Delete
  9. I really love the idea of stitching Sundays and i might even have joined you if I hadn't been up to my ears in teddies today! I'm looking forward to seeing this develop :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Clare - I've just found you through Chrissie's linkup and become a follower! You've made a great start already with your neat little running stitches, and you have a wonderful plan there which I'm sure you will bring to fruition. This is such an exciting project - all the best with it!
    Joy x

    joyjinkscreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, welcome to my Summerhouse. x

      Delete
  11. Hi I love the colours and cant wait to see how it will develop. The Doodle Stitching Book is one of my favourites ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leeanne, I can't wait for my Doodle book to arrive.x

      Delete
  12. Dear Clare
    Your project is looking good with super-neat stitches. Your design sounds fantastic too. It will be lovely to see it progress. The book is excellent!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellie, thanks for your lovely comment.x

      Delete
  13. You have made a great start! That looks a very pretty book too.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M, I looking forward to learning a new craft. x

      Delete