Wednesday 11 September 2013

'Cute and Easy' Daisy pin cushion



Hello Today I thought I tell you about a little make I've been crocheting over the last few of days.  I'm still in full on relapse mode and have also managed to pick a nasty bug too, which I've been struggling with for the last ten days, it never rains but it pours. I'm getting a bit fed up with it all really but hey ho that's life with a chronic illness, I just have to try and stay positive and know that things will pick back up again at some point. 

 So I've been mostly stuck in bed for about  a month now, resting, doing little of bits of crafting, listening to music (a life send)  reading when I feel up to it and spending some time escaping to blogland, exploring so many wonderful crafty blogs.

I've also indulged in a bit of online retail therapy with some lovely new yarn and other crafting bits and bobs (more on that another day) and a couple of new crafty books, one on embroidery and the other on crochet.


So today I thought I share with you a little make from the above book.  'Cute and Easy Crocheted Flowers' by Nicki Trench.  There are some lovely makes in this book, the 'Floral Bag' on page 104 is simply divine, but a bit too ambitious for me with my current energy levels.  So instead I opted to make the super cute 'Flower pin cushion'.


I decided that I wanted to make the flower on the top of my pin cushion look like a daisy, so I used Stylcraft Special DK in Saffron for the centre of my flower and then the petals out of cream. 

 The petals are made using a Popcorn stitch, which is a stitch I've not done before, although I soon got the hang of it with the clear instruction in the book.  In fact I've quite fallen in love with the Popcorn stitch and I think I'm going to incorporate it into some of the flowers for my Winter Time wreath.


I then decided on Clematis and Cloud Blue for the body of my pin cushion all from my stash of Stylecraft Special DK.


Crocheting the back and front as per the easy to follow instructions.


Then it was time to crochet the two together.


I decided to stuff my pin cushion with two layers of wading with some toy stuffing sandwiched between the two, as I didn't want to used a fabric that would show through the pastel shades of my pin cushion.


With a bit of concentration, ( my poor brain fogged brain) I managed to follow the instruction for edging my pin cushion


and Ta-Dah my 'Cute and Easy' daisy pin cushion was complete.



All I needed to do was add some pins.
Now, what to make next from this lovely little book?

So that's yarn and books coveres as for music today I hit shuffle on the ipod and it picked 'The Wailin' Jennys,' 40 Days


I love switching off shuffle and playing a entire Album one day a week. This is quite a old Album but one of my favourites, some great hamonies

Linking up with Christina'sMade by hand link up
                 Nicole's KCCO  and Gilly's Yarn Along so why not pop over and see what everyones up to.

Happy Crafting 
 Clare xx

37 comments:

  1. I got this book recently too, and I adore it! So many lovely projects to try. Your pincushion is really pretty.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great little book, looking forward to seeing what you make. xx

      Delete
  2. Hello Clare, Wow your pincushion is fabulous especially the edging. The soft gentle colours are so beautiful. I hope you begin to feel a little better.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene, I am drawn so much toward pastel shades, I should really try and mix things up a bit I suppose. xx

      Delete
  3. that turned out so super cute. what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fab project Clare. Hope you start to feel better soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! I've been seeing the book everywhere lately and have been ogling it on Amazon too, as I mentioned to Marianne this morning. I'm glad to see people are enjoying it so much. I think I might need to add it to the book-gift wishlist I maintain for my husband's ease in shopping for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea to have a wish crafty book wish list. xx

      Delete
  6. What a fab make! I'm going to try the placemats from the book - I'll let you know how I get on, there are so many projects I want to do from this gorgeous book! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissie, I have my eye on the placemats too, I look forward to seeing yours. xx

      Delete
  7. Oh gosh, you've done a lovely job Clare - very 'cute'.
    So many people are talking about this book after me ordering so many others this week - ah well, maybe it'll 'fall into my hands' sometime!!
    I do hope you soon start to feel a bit better again!
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, I'm been looking forward to this book coming out for a while, as learnt to crochet with the first Cute and Easy Crochet book. xx

      Delete
  8. looks awesome ! wish I could crochet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you lovely comment Lisa and for stopping by my summerhouse. x

      Delete
  9. Super sweet! Looks like a lovely book too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina, was a fun little make. xx

      Delete
  10. So sorry you've been having an extended relapse - the shift in weather may not help either. Hope you pick up again soon. In the meantime your flower pin cushion is delightful. I could only stick colour-themed pins in it I fear! E x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E, I'm just the same, as I was hunting for just the pink and pearl pins, when I took the picture :) xx

      Delete
  11. What a sweet little pincushion! I love it, and the instructions very simple for a beginner to follow! What a beautiful blog you have here! I had alot of fun visiting this morning. I am here from the every Thursday "Made By Hand" blog hop! I hope you will come by and visit my blog as well! Sandy

    www.sanderellas1.com here on blogger........Sanderella's Crochet Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet little pincushion! I love it, and the instructions very simple for a beginner to follow! What a beautiful blog you have here! I had alot of fun visiting this morning. I am here from the every Thursday "Made By Hand" blog hop! I hope you will come by and visit my blog as well! Sandy

    www.sanderellas1.com here on blogger........Sanderella's Crochet Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. oops! Looks like two postings above, sorry about that! Happens sometimes....I wanted to tell you that I am now following you on bloglovin and I also joined as a "follower" When you visit my blog, won't you please follow me as well! I am also with bloglovin, and G+. I also wanted to tell you that I am the owner of the 'Knitters Support Group and Some Crochet Too"! We would love to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comments, will pop over to your blog and say hello. x

      Delete
  14. I do like the look of that book - your pincushion is so pretty (my two favourite colours!).

    Do hope you start to feel better very soon.

    Heather x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, I love thoughs colours too, thanks for stopping by my Summerhouse. x

      Delete
  15. cute pin cushion! what a lovely idea to put a daisy on top. nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea for a pin cushion. Wishing you more good days than bad - chronic illness can be such a drain xx

    ReplyDelete