Friday 27 February 2015

Five on Friday (2)



Hello.......... Today I'm going to be joining in with Amy's Five on Friday. Life with a Chronic illness is pretty tough and you try to do anything that might improve symptoms.  For many years now I've been trying to eat a healthy diet in the hope, it might help me recover.

In a way it is helping, as last Summer I had a very bad brush with Diabetes, that was very rare and very odd effectively my pancreas just stopped working for about 3 months, which was a bit of a shock, but by the time all the tests came back and I was give a glucose monitor and about to start on insulin, my levels were back to normal, spontaneous recovery in Diabetes is rare (mostly unheard of)

Since then I've been baffling doctors, who say even though my levels are back to normal ' I must be a diabetic', as when I had a glucose challenge test, the result were really bad and I was brought in to the hospital again to start insulin, only for my home monitor readings to be checked and be fine.   So eating clean appears to be keeping me off insulin and long may that continue. Fingers crossed at some point they will figure out what's going on as at the moment it's not even clear what type of Diabetes I have.


So today for my five things I thought I'd post about eating clean, I mostly eat a organic diet with lots of fresh vegetables, I eat fish and chicken, no red meat, I don't eat any yeast (bread how I miss you) and I eat very limited wheat and dairy, I could do better, but life's for living so I'm the first person to admit to the occasional slip, so my first picture is a quick shot of the pantry. Lots of nuts and seeds, quinoa, almond flour and lovely raw cacao powder and some sneaky brown rice pasta on the upper shelf.


Picture two, is a soup from last Saturday, Roasted Red Pepper, Tomato and Red Onion with Cannellini beans, which was really yummy we always make a big batch and put some in the freezer for days when I don't have the energy to get out of bed let alone think about food.


As I said I don't eat much dairy, but I do occasionally have a organic natural yogurt, along with lots of probiotics as I've been taking antibiotics since 2008 for suspected Lyme disease. It's a tricky one as I have not recovered on them, but I am better while taking them and relapse further without. I think they are keeping it at bay rather than killing it. If that's even what I have, I still don't have a definitive diagnosis, It could be Lyme disease, my official diagnosis was ME/CFS (but now that doesn't fit) or it could be a yet to be discovered autoimmune condition, the doctors just don't know, any road I've got a bit off track, this was breakfast one morning in the week yogurt, cherries almonds and mixed seeds.


Another thing that is recommended for Lyme Disease is bone broth, so when we have a roast on Sundays we always make stock and soup the next day, this was chicken noodle, I've shared the recipe 'here'


I eat lots of soups and salads as they are easy and good for you this was yesterdays lunch, Salmon Salad with green beans.  I've been struggling a lot this week with this continuing relapse plus a six hour round trip for a hospital appointment, so there has been lots of soups as they are easy to eat in fact when I looked back at the photo's of the week I could have done a entire post just on soup as I've eaten it most days.

So that's my five things for this week, wishing you a wonderful week ahead.

Clare xx

11 comments:

  1. what lovely looking meals, it just shows you can eat lovely meals on a restricted diet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your five things to eat are great for anyone, never mind someone with your problems, so thank you for sharing them. I am sorry that it has been a difficult week, I really do so wish that they could find some diagnosis for you that meant that you could actually be treated rather than just dealing with symptoms. You always remain so cheerful and positive here on your blog and I really admire you for that!! Whatever physical difficulties you have, your kind and caring personality has not been affected!! Thank you so much for joining in, I know that it is a lot of work for you, so I do appreciate it! I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds to me as if you are a glass half full person, positive and determined. We could learn a lot from you. Your clean eating looks delicious and I must try better at this myself. Thanks for the share x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello from New Zealand. I'm popping over from the Five on Friday linkup. That soup looks amazing, and I hope the coming week is an easier one for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sound of that soup. My kids' favourite is boring old tomato soup, at least they like the homemade version rather than just the one from the can!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, just looking at all these fab dishes is making me hungry! ;-) That 6 hour hospital trip sounds very tiresome - keep your chin up, lovely and hope your weekend is happy.
    Hugs
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice spring photo, the first... and your eating looks so yummy.
    It is a terrible thing to rely on doctors and they do not know what it is. - I know that too and often think, self-helping is the best way (if we are still able to do it) -
    Have a quiet weekend and a better time

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Thanks for your visit to my blog. I hope you're having a nice and restful weekend, and you're now recovering from that long hospital journey. Your roasted pepper soup and chicken noodle soup look very delicious. Your clean eating is an inspiration. Thanks again for your visit and comment over at mine.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your clean eating sounds great, I try to eat reasonably healthily but could do better!! I had cholesterol and fasting sugar bloods done today so I'm waiting to see what they say! In the meantime I'm going to quickly eat the chocolate I was given for my birthday!!! Hey, You're only 40 once! I meant to ask my consultant about various diets that might help with the lupus and fibro last visit but I forgot. I know of people who have tried cutting out various things but no one who has had a definite dramatic change. After I get my results (and have eaten my chocolate :-)) I may well join you! Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your clean eating sounds great, I try to eat reasonably healthily but could do better!! I had cholesterol and fasting sugar bloods done today so I'm waiting to see what they say! In the meantime I'm going to quickly eat the chocolate I was given for my birthday!!! Hey, You're only 40 once! I meant to ask my consultant about various diets that might help with the lupus and fibro last visit but I forgot. I know of people who have tried cutting out various things but no one who has had a definite dramatic change. After I get my results (and have eaten my chocolate :-)) I may well join you! Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete