Monday 15 April 2013

Crocheted Flower Brooches



Hello, today I thought I would tell you about the crocheted flower brooches I've been making recently.  The idea for these brooches came about when I was asked if I wanted to contribute some crafts to a charity auction that is being held on Facebook.

I really wanted to make something for the auction as it's to raise money for two charities that are very close to my heart, 'Invest in ME' and 'Macmillan Cancer care'. However at that time I was in the midst of completing by Spring time wreath  and had no spare crafting time.  So I decided to make some of the spare flowers from the wreath and also make a few additionals into brooches.


Using Fondant coloured yarn I made an additional rose for the auction, I stitched three tiny pearl seed beads in to the centre as decoration.


I then attached the clasps to the Rose Brooches by stitching them onto a piece of felt and then sewing that on to the brooch.



The second brooch I donated to the auction is this Anemone brooch in pomegranate, it was one of the flowers I originally made for my wreath, I added some swarovski crystal beads and attached a clasp to the back, and it was done,  and in just the nick of time as the donations had to be submitted by Easter,  sadly I ran out of time and was unable to donate the third brooch I had planned to make.

The auction is currently running on facebook with so many wonderful home made makes that can be bid on, to raise money for these two truly wonderful causes, so why not check it out here at Chronic Creatives Charity Auction as you might find something you want to bid on, the auction closes on the 28th April.



After making my auction brooches I decided that I would also makes some flower brooches as part of my blog candy give away .I decided to make some anemone brooches, using my own pattern which I had developed for my flower wreath here


I made a pale pink and a purple anemone and stitched clasps onto the back using black embroidery silk.


Then using a nail file I filed one side of each skarovski crystal bead so I could then glue them to the flowers.


Using tweezers I then glued the crystals on to the flowers, this was a bit fiddly as I'm all fingers and thumbs at the best of times.


This blinging up of my brooches with crystals was all very pleasing to my inner magpie, such lovely shiny crystals, it's hard to pick up in a photo how twinkly these crystal are, when the sun light hits them. I'm sure they will brighten up any winter coat if pinned to it, sparkling and twinkling away in the light.



So these three brooches are up for grabs over on my blog candy thank you post all you have to do is leave a comment on that post, and you might win a candy treat including one of these brooches, the giveaway closes this Thursday, so you only have a few days left.

Also don't forget to check out the CC Auction page. Go on I know you want too !

Happy Crafting

Clare x

No comments:

Post a Comment