Sunday 2 February 2014

Seaside Bunting : part 1


Hello.......... Today I thought I would share with my final make for the 'Craft Club' exhibition which starts next Saturday eek. 

The theme  for this one was 'The seaside' so straight away I thought bunting, nothing more seaside than that !


So I ordered a pack of different coloured fat quarters from which I selected the red and blues for this make.  I then spotted this wonderful Maritime fabric 'here' and knew it would be just perfect. The fabric is actually white (my that January Grey messes with colour)


So using a template I cut out 18 pennants which would make 9 flags for my bunting.  As I wanted to use as little energy as possible I cut them out using pinking shears but I kinda like the whole shabby vintage seaside look that gives them.


I then set about cutting out the boats, beach huts and lighthouse's from the fabric.


Then it was time for the fun bit, over the next few weeks I gradually hand stitched my pennants.
Each one is decorated slightly differently, the first had waves and seagulls


I hand stitched them using embroidery floss, carefully stitching the seaside images in place and then decorating the flags with a bit of free style stitching, (I blame my 'Doodle stitching' book) this one has two tone sand.


Some of my bunting even has bunting of it's own !


In total there are three of each colour, themed red with beach huts, turquoise with boats and navy for the lighthouse with it's night sky.


Some I couldn't resisted adding a little sparkle to with sequins, this one has mirror portholes.


It was so much fun letting my creativity loose,


adding a little touches to each flag


I think this one is my favourite with it's twinkling stars


So there you have it nine hand stitched flags all ready to be strung together, that was going to be the tricky bit. Being a newbie stitcher I was starting to get a bit nervous about the next bit with words like sewing machine and bias binding being thrown into the mix eek !

So lets leave it here for today, safely in the familiar land of hand stitching with sequins and pretty coloured thread.  We'll leave the scary bit till next time.

Linking up with Chrissies Stitching Sunday and & Stitches finish along so why not pop over and see what everyone else is making.

Happy Crafting 

Clare xx


22 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic, I love how you've added the extra embroidery on the flags. It makes me long for summer at the seaside, x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful, creative project! I can picture this flapping in the summer sun on a beach hut...*sigh* Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful bunting and I love that they are all different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so beautiful. I love the details and the fact that each is unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Clare
    Your bunting looks amazing! I love the way you have individualised each pennant with its own bit of hand stitching. I bet you will be hooked on making bunting once you have finished this one though - I started with one set last year and ended up making five different sets with a seasonal theme! I'm now even contemplating making my own bias binding (gasp!)
    Best wishes and enjoy your stitching!
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ribbon to hang them all from is great, it goes so well with them!! I bet that you are excited that the exhibition is not long now, you have put so much work into all of your pieces. I hope that it goes really well for you. Happy Bunting!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bunting looks wonderful... love the extra embroidery stitches you have added! Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is just fab! Love the bunting on the final bunting flag! Sewing them on the machine will be easy, you just need to pin, and don't sew to quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog and I love it. The nautical bunting is SO cute! I'm a new follower. Derrith Scarbrough tiedupinribbon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely project. I love all the little touches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This bunting is beautiful, you are very good at sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clare I love the bunting it would look fab in my new coastal themed bathroom so pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely wonderful. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fantastic bunting! And I love that even the bunting has bunting, very cute

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your cheerful seaside bunting! I like the way you hand stitched and decorated each pennant individually. Great fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this bunting! Now I am envisioning one with trains and trucks on it for my son!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's lovely, and so much work, but worth every minute :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty and cleverly done Clare - summer is just around the corner! Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderfully nautical! Great stuff, I am addicted to making bunting, the perfect gift for any occasion.

    ReplyDelete