Thursday 21 August 2014

FolkEast Festival


Hello....... So last weekend I went off to FolkEast with some friends, for a weekend of fun, music and crochet.


My friends band were playing on the main stage and invited me along, yay for backstage passes and therefore the cleanest porta loos I have ever seen.


Sadly the weather was a bit changeable, which resulted in some this, not a good mix with wheels of any kind, when we got there a jcb was pulling cars out of the mud in the car park eek.  

So really not the best conditions for a wheelchair, everyone was super helpful though, from the crew at the festival to other festival goers who we only to happy to help with the chair.


The biggest thank you goes to my friend 'C' who did a amazing job hauling my wheelchair and me backward through the mud and bumpy parkland as it was not the most wheelchair friendly site.

But despite that we had a wonderful time.


After the logistics of getting onto the site, we were in need of a nice cuppa and found a fabulous tea tent.


Everything about it was just my cup of tea from the vintage tea sets to the flowery table cloth to the oh so yummy cake I shared with my sister.


and by the time the music started the sun was shining.


So we headed off to the Sunset stage to listen to some Folk music.


First up was Rum Kelter from Norfolk who played a wonderful traditional set of Irish and European Folk music there is a link to there site 'here'


Next up was my friend and 'Hatful of Rain' who play Americana roots music with a British folk twist. They are such a great live band, playing around a single mic, they released there second album 'The Morning Key' earlier in the year


Here's the video for the first single off the new album.


We also saw 'The Rails' perform who were great sorry no picture, but here's a clip I found online.




Later in the evening 'Blowzabella' played a amazing set with so many people up and dancing,to there mix of European folk music. They were followed by Bellowhead more on that later.



One of Saturdays highlights for me was seeing 'The Willows ' who played a beautiful set, another British band playing Americana, they were followed by the 'Hackney Colliery band' who blow the roof off.


Just before we left we caught some of 'Fay Hield and the Hurricane Party', 
now who's ready for some crochet!!!


The yarniness at this festival was sooo good with a designated crochet and knitting tent


running so many workshops shall we have a little peak?


Happy Happy so much yarny goodness


The crocheted wheelbarrow was suggested as a alternative transport system for me


and I couldn't resist a sitting down on the yarny bench and trying the guitar


But this bike was my favourite by far, just the pom pom wheels made my heart sing


and the fab daisy saddle


I love it so, especially the strawberry lining in the basket, I wish I had a bike just like this


plus how great is this fellow, the yarny ladies of FolkEast sure have been busy.



Here's one final look at the display inside the tent, 
there is no picture but I took my crochet along and made some flowers for my scarf while listening to the wonderful music, the perfect way to spend a weekend.


In the dark the festival site look like a wonderful fairyland


with wood carvings lit up to perfection.


These photo's are thanks to my sister who went off with her camera for a little wander


capturing the magic.


Before Bellowhead took to the stage to close the first night.


Back at the cottage we had time to fit in a little music too.

 Such a wonderful weekend, I'm paying the price for the fun now with a bit of payback from my ME/Lyme disease but it was well worth it even though my back has still not recovered from bumping around in the wheelchair, but I'd do it all again for sure.

Clare xx

13 comments:

  1. Wow looks like you had a fab time! Loved the tea tent and that brilliant bike, thanks for sharing and hope you recover quickly x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to love, the tea set is fab. I love the pom poms on the wheels too. But at night time <3 it looks like somewhere the fairies would play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing weekend, the tea tent looked delightful. The crochet was amazing, the wheelbarrow and bench were brilliant and the bike was a piece of art. Hope you get over the trip soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like such a fun weekend, and all that yarniness is just fab! Glad you had a good time,
    Happy weekend, xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that you had such a great time, the crochet is wonderful!!! I love the bike especially. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a lovely time, thanks for sharing your pictures x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a fantastic festival! I'm glad you had such a good time.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it looks like the most wonderful festival. I think I would have loved the music. And the yarn stuff just makes it even better! Well done for persevering with the mud and bumps. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you were able to make it to the festival and that you had such a fabulous time. Love the crochet tent, i would have been parked there all day.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so enjoyed reading your festival posts! I LOVE the hedgehog - I would love to have one like that for my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed your story and pictures! Glad you made it through the mud and found this beautiful tea tent! And I defiantly need some pompoms in my bicycle wheels next summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clare! How wonderful you were able to go to the festival and share some of it with us :-) I enjoyed the sound of Hatful of Rain and The Rails and loved all the crochet... especially the seagull! Wishing you well! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pics are beautiful! Looks like you had a great time. Love the bikes and the pom pom wheels. Best, Caroline

    ReplyDelete