Saturday 21 December 2013

Winter Solstice



Hello... Just a quick post today as not much time with Christmas just around the corner, but I just wanted to pop in and wish you all a Merry Solstice, yes today is the shortest day of the year and it really had been a gloomy one here at the Summerhouse. A gale blowing and rain lashing down.


After seeing the forecast yesterday I decided to go out into the garden as the sun was setting low in the sky and clip a few cutting to celebrate the Winter Solstice.


I cut some Holly, Winter Jasmine and Fir tree from the garden, alas we have no Mistletoe but my sister kindly pick me some up from the Green Grocers, I think maybe I'm going to try and grow some in our pear tree from the berries for next year.

Sadly the wind and hail stones from the other night had destroyed the Rose I had my eye so, some had to be bought from the shop.


So this morning I arranged them all in a vase on the mantle


and lit a candle which has been burning all day, which was just lovely as it never really got light here today it was so overcast.


We also decorated the tree today, sorry the pictures are so gloomy but the light was so poor


Of course there are some little glass Birdies to hang on the tree



and lovely crystals that twinkle when they catch the light. I'll try and get some more shots of the tree another day when the light better.


It was lovely to spend a little time out in the garden clipping some blooms to cheer up shortest of days and with the candles lit and fairy light twinkly it felt very cosy in the warm away from today awful weather.

For what's a better thing to celebrate than the days getting longer again and Spring on the way.




Just before I go there is just enough time for a bit more wreath love, both made to celebrate the seasons the Spring Equinox and the Winter Solstice.

Thanks for all the lovely comments left on my last couple of  wreath posts, they made me very smiley.

Well onward to the big day now still loads to do, so it felt lovely to stop breath and reflect a bit today and make a Solstice wish.

Clare xx 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Clare for your brilliant post, and stunning photos. Your wreaths are GORGEOUS, just perfect. Merry Christmas to You and your Family.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post to celebrate the winter solstice. I think we are all looking forward to a little more daylight. Love your pretty flowers from the garden and your tree looks wonderful and so sparkly!!! You've done such a lovely job sweetie , I hope you can put your feet up and enjoy it all. Sending you beautiful wishes for a wonderful Christmas and a healthier new year!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Solstice to you too. These are lovely pics and I know what you mean about the light as I reckon there is little point in opening the blinds and curtains as it seems to make little difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Solstice (a bit late) to you too, Clare. Thank you for sharing your photos. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete