Hello .......... I'm back with more adventures into the world of machine sewing, after my sewing machine one to one, I thought it was best to try and
remember consolidate what I had learnt, I'm still pretty scared of my sewing machine
but playing with the pretty fabrics makes it so much better. My original plan was to make a mini quilt to cover my craft basket, comprising of four 12 inch squares. I found this 'tutorial' on youtube and decided to go with log cabin squares.
I just love how much crafting knowledge and help this is to be found on youtube and it's usually my first port of call if I need help with something, I find it so much easier to follow a video clip than try and figure out what to do from a book.
Any road back to my square, I cut out the pieces for my log cabin patch as per the tutorial measuring and checking as I went, foggy brains are not the best for this, (so far I'm discovering sewing is much more of a accurate business than crochet.)
Once I had all the pieces cut I played around with the layout, at this point I was skippy happy with how it was looking, all the colours and patterns soooo pretty. I did have a bit of a issues with getting it to fit, but
hoped assumed that this was something to do with seam allowances, ( technical sewing stuff).
So it was time to thread up the machine and get sewing,
building up the block, just look how pretty it is....
It was all going really well until..........
Two of the pieces just didn't fit, I went back and checked the dimensions on the video tutorial and I had cut them as directed but for some reason it just wasn't working, so it's either me (highly likely) or somethings not quite right with measurements on the clip.
So what to do............. After a bit of head scratching and general scary sewing panic,
I opted to just leave them out of the block as the final piece fitted (well if you cut off the excess it did!!) so that's what I did. The only problem was my block was now too small plus I very much doubted I'd be able to make three more to match for my mini quilt.
So what to do........
It was then that I remembered I had a 11 inch cushion pad, sitting waiting in the cupboard under the stairs, I'd ordered it by mistake when I made my ice cream cushion back in the summer, so now I just needed to figure out how to make a envelope cushion cover.
Which involved a bit of guess work but.....
I think it turned out OK.
Not perfect, but not too bad for a first attempt
So all well that ends well in the tale of the log cabin cushion.